Sunday, April 26, 2009

Diva is a female version of a hustler.

You said it Beyonce!
I have here pictorial evidence of my continuing adventures into Asian cuisine. It's less of an 'adventure', but 'rediscovery'. It's my background, you see, but I grew into my culinary skills using more traditional Western or European techniques and skills, and now I'm going back to my Asian roots. And it has been really fun - and delicious! I'm not sure if it's because I'm generally becoming a better cook, but I'm f-ing up a lot less! Like, most of my final products are actually edible! And look good! Here are pan-fried-steamed pork buns. Yum.

The trick with these guys is that you start cooking these guys by frying them for maybe less than a minute in a frypan, add about 1cm of water, stick on a lid, and 10 minutes later, you have these gorgeous babies. I used two different recipe sources, one for the bread wrapper and another for the filling. I originally made a more traditional pork filling for this particular bread wrapping and a potsticker wrapper with a killer filling.

So I picked the better wrapper and filling and voila! I also cannot pleat potstickers to save my life. These guys are a lot easier to handle. These buns are more commonly shaped more round - like pleated little balls, but I did them flatter. I'll post the recipes soon - they are quite lengthy.

I know this is gross - but check out the picture on the right, my buns are sweating! I've got sweaty buns! Sweaty, meat-filled, delicious buns.






The mothership was kind enough to take some time out to roll out the wrapping for me - she's got quite the skillz with the rolling pin. I'm the pleater in the family.

No comments:

Post a Comment