Sunday, August 23, 2009

Tis the season to pick berries!

Fa la la la la, la la la la!

I was attempting to write lyrics for a berry-baking themed "Deck The Halls", but you try and think of something that goes along with, "Strike the harp and join the chorus"! Not easy, I tell ya...
But this weekend I did manage to make a seasonal favourite of mine - Blueberry Lemon Bundt Cake. Unfortunately, the weather was not quite nice enough for us to go picking, but we went to a local farmstand and loaded up on blueberries. Which really wasn't that much more expensive than picking them ourselves.

The first time I made this cake - it came out of the pan in two (maybe even three pieces). Mind you, it was still good, but it looked a little rough. And I had to use a ton of icing sugar to make it look relatively uniform. And looking like it came out of the pan in one piece. I was much more careful this time around and carefully buttered-and-floured the pan - with fantastic results! I've never had a Bundt cake come out quite so...lovely and golden.

I decided not to dust with icing sugar because the marbling of the blueberries was too unique to cover up. It kind of looks like the cake version of Tiger ice cream (what was that anyway? Orange with chocolate swirl? Mmm...that would make a good cake.)

As usual, I didn't have enough patience to wait for the cake to cool before we sliced it up - the inside was so warm and the blueberries would explode with a burst of juice - the dense cake was a wonderful complement! And juice soaker!

Want to give this cake a try? Check out the recipe here.

No comments:

Post a Comment