Sunday, July 26, 2009

Sunday Sufganiots


It's a new tradition with the T & J - donuts! Or should I type, doughnuts. Whichever way you prefer, you can't deny how delicious they are! Although our experimentations are in the early phase - I seem to be the designated "risen-donut" maker and T & J prepare the cake variety. No problems with me! I didn't bring my camera for our last donut adventures - which perhaps worked out as we ate them pretty fast. I made a lemon-flavoured batter last time and I thought I would try something different. One major thing I wanted to improve on was the "rise-ability" of the donut - I wanted fluffy tall donuts, darn-it! And I'll be damned if I can't make them!

Back in the days of Home Economics class, I remember making Israeli jelly-filled donuts, and they were pretty good - even with our pathetic Grade 11 skills! (side note: I won the proficiency prize that year for Foods 12. Hee hee) So let's give it another try - this time, under their traditional name of Sufganiots. I used quick-rise yeast and they were quick! And they rose! We finished the donut holes - but they were pretty terrific looking - I think next time, I will make a batch just of Sufganiot-holes (sounds like a curse word - "stop being such a Sufganiot-hole!"). For those in the deep-fry state of mind - try out the recipe below.

Sufganiots
c/o Martha Stewart Living

2 tablespoons active dry yeast
1/2 cup warm water
1/4 cup plus 1 teaspoon sugar, plus more for rolling
2 1/2 cups flour, plus more for dusting
2 large eggs
2 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
2 teaspoons salt

Oil for fryin'
Jam for injectin'

In a small bowl, combine yeast, warm water, and 1 teaspoon sugar. Set aside until foamy, about 10 minutes.
Place flour in a large bowl, make a well in the centre and add eggs, yeast mixture, 1/4 cup sugar, butter, nutmeg, and salt. Using a wooden spoon, stir until a sticky dough forms.
On a well-floured work surface, knead until dough is smooth, soft and bounces back when poked with a finger, about 8 minutes.

Place in an oiled bowl, cover with plastic wrap, place in a warm place and let double in size. (1 - 1 1/2 hours)

On a lightly floured surface, roll dough to 1/4" thickness. Using a cookie cutter or glass, cut rounds, cover with plastic wrap and let rise for 15 minutes.

Heat oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat until the temperature reaches 370F. Using a slotted spoon, carefully slip 4 rounds into oil. Fry until golden, about 40 seconds and then carefully flip to fry the other side (also 40sec).
Transfer to a paper-towel-lined baking sheet. Roll in sugar while warm.

To inject jam - use an injector or pastry bag fitted with a long narrow tip. Use a small paring knife to cut a small notch into the donut, insert piping implement and fill away!

No comments:

Post a Comment